Wednesday, February 29, 2012

What will I have to know to work on DNA computers?

Hi, I'm a freshman at the University of Tenn and I'm planning to major in Computer Science or something like that. But then I read this article last night about how DNA is going to replace silicon as the medium for chips and information. Like 1 pound of DNA can hold more information than all of the computers ever built. So what will I have to study to get in to this field, biomedical engineering? I don't know but I wish I did because I think this field has a lot of potential.What will I have to know to work on DNA computers?
the closest field to that is "bioinformatics". an interdisciplinery science of math, genetics, statistics, and computer sciences. if you are interested in the kitchen of that work such as "making" those chips, i think you should study elecronics too. i dont know the order but you should study electronics, programming, genetics (or widely biological sciences) and you should know statictics well. biomedical engineering is more like making live tissues. not much related to what you want.



you can get a minor degree of genetics while studying electronics/computer science or vice versa. or study your master in the other field. and make Phd directly on this.



best way for now is find the authors of that article and mail them. they will lead you better. dont be shy, i think they will be happy to get such an email.



good luck in your studies

No comments:

Post a Comment